What is Mold

Mold is a fungus prevalent in moist climates, both indoors and out. There is an undetermined number of species of fungus that exist in the world.There have been estimates that have been projected to be as many as over three hundred thousand.  The testing that White Cap Environmental Consulting provides will help you identify one of the thousands of catalogued species known to cause issues for your family’s health.  We take pride in helping families get the proper diagnosis for their home.

White Cap Environmental Consulting takes the guess work out of knowing your family is safe in your home. 

Let us work with you to get the truth about health risks in your environment.

Learn More

Mold is a simple, microscopic organism that can present itself just about anywhere.  Mold, along with other forms of organic growth like mushrooms and yeast, that are considered types of fungus, are essential to break down decaying bio-organic material and recycle the nutrients back into the Earth’s eco-system. For molds to grow and replicate, a particular food source is necessary. Basically, mold requires organic compostable material, like leaves, wood, paper, and dirt combined with condensation. 

Because mold can only exist through digestion of organic material, it must break down the bio-organic material to create its new life form. Mold growth on surfaces often appear as discoloration, frequently green, gray, brown, or black but also white and other colors.

How does mold affect your health?

People that have pre-existing conditions such as Asthma, Allergies, and other sesitivities, can experience symptoms such as nasal drip, trouble breathing, itchy red or irritated eyes and nostrils, as well a variety of skin irritations that could present as a rash, redness, or tenderness. 

To get additional information the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has a basic facts site for you to to review.  Site: https://www.cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm



What is Asbestos

Asbestos itself is a naturally occurring substance mined from six different naturally occurring rock groups found in certain regions across the globe. While the properties of asbestos are highly desirable in manufacturing, due to their heat and fire resistance, all varieties are considered to be cancer causing to humans.

White Cap Environmental Consulting takes the guess work out of knowing your family is safe in your home. 

Let us work with you to get the truth about health risks in your environment.

Learn More


• Chrysotile

• Amosite

• Crocidolite

These minerals, when mined and processed into asbestos building materials are typically separated into micro-fibers. When these micro-fibers are present in the air, after they have been disturbed through re-construction or demolition processes, they can become what is known as friable and thus introduced into the lungs where they can then become cancerous to humans. 

A Brief History

Asbestos actually dates back some 4500 years, however it became a popular, commercially manufactured product in the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Its use in building materials was widely propagated due to its strong resilient properties to burning, its resistance to corrosion, and its ability to provide excellent insulating properties. Despite the know ill-health effects discovered in the late 1890’s, its manufacture continued for several decades in the US.

Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) is defined, by regulation, to be materials that contain a higher than 1% asbestos makeup. Asbestos fibers are commonly mixed during processing with a material that binds them together so that they can be used in over 20,000 building materials. 

How does mold affect your health?

Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) is more infamously known for causing the following:

Asbestosis – or a scarring of the lungs, reducing the lungs ability to properly take in Oxygen and release CO2 (Carbon dioxide).  This creates difficulty breathing in patients with this disease.

Mesothelioma – a rare type of cancer that affects the membrane called the Pleura that covers the lungs.  It also can affect the membranes around major organs as well (peritoneum). 

Visit the CDC Website for more information: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/health_effects_asbestos.html

What is Lead

Lead is a heavy metal, element symbol Pb, that is many times denser than most know materials.  Despite its density, lead is soft and highly malleable with a low melting point. 

Lead has been used in the manufacturing of paints, dyes, glazes, as well as pipes, batteries, weights, ammunition and many other uses over the years. Unfortunately, this use in so many products has caused leaching into the environment.  

White Cap Environmental Consulting takes the guess work out of knowing your family is safe in your home. 

Let us work with you to get the truth about health risks in your environment.

Learn More

How does lead affect our health?

The main affect lead has on the body, is attacking the nervous system.  When lead is ingested, it builds up in the body and can result in diminished motor function, reduced cognitive ability, and cause weakness in fingers, wrists, and ankles.  High levels of lead in the body can even cause brain damage and death.

Children are especially vulnerable to the affects of lead, as they can reach toxic levels more quickly than adults.  There is no “Safe” blood level for a child when it comes to lead.  Children exposed during pregnancy have a far more likely chance of mental cognition resulting in slow learning, behavioral issues, and even death.

DHHS (The Department of Health and Human Services), has determined that lead and it other compounds, to be carcinogenic.   

Source: https://epi.dph.ncdhhs.gov/oee/docs/LeadInfo.pdf